: help@tradejini.com : +91-80-40204020            Call-n-Trade : +91-80-26086600

What will happen if I have transferred money from an un-registered bank account?

There are 2 solutions in such a scenario

  • Submit proof to add the un-registered bank account as a secondary bank account for your trading account. OR
  • Submit a request for refund by sending a mail to help@tradejini.com from your registered email id with details of un-registered bank account (account no, IFSC Code, branch name, account holder name,) along with bank statement indicating the debit.